Thursday, April 2, 2015

New Kitchen Bench


Now that spring has begun to sprung, I have started refinishing furniture again which is sooo satisfying.  We needed more seating at our kitchen table for when the in-laws and friends are over.  The bench lives on the opposite side of the table but I moved it around for photography's-sake.

My first idea was to add another leaf to the table but considering this table was discontinued years ago, that idea was a bust (it took me months to realize this idea was not going to happen but we won't go through that right now).  I then went through trying to find 6 smaller side chairs to make the total seating at this table 8, but that was just too hard, everything I found (mostly on Craigslist), needed to be repainted and that was turning into too much of a time and money commitment.

My final (and best) idea was to put a bench on one side of the table which could seat at least 4 people.  I needed a bench that was 60 inches long and I wanted it to match my existing table and chairs.  I searched for days until I finally found this one on Wayfair.



The bench is unfinished, which I wanted and the style very closely mimics the style of my existing table.  Also, I have always been super-thrilled with Wayfair's prices and customer service so it was a win-win-win situation!

I ordered the bench and in the couple days before it arrived I thought about how I wanted to finish it.  I love how the butcher block top is the same as my table but I didn't want the "country" look of a stained surface.  I decided I would copy the antiqued white finish of the chair.

When the bench arrived, the legs needed to be attached, an easy process.  As it was unfinished, it didn't really require any prep before painting. 


 
 
I collected my supplies and got started painting.
 
 
 
I painted it with one coat of a white Sherwin-Williams furniture paint with no tint added. I rolled the top and painted the legs with a brush.
 


I let the one coat dry and then sanded the edges and sides to make it look older and also to hide the wear it will inevitably incur over time.

 
 
I then dusted the bench off and made a mixture of two parts glaze to one part wood stain. 
 

I used Valspar signature glaze, which I stocked-up on as it is now discontinued (but you can use any furniture glaze) and Minwax stain in "Dark Walnut" which doesn't have an orange tint to it, which I like.  The glaze is water-based and the stain is oil-based but they DO mix together for the purposes of an antiqued stain.  I mixed them in a red Solo cup with a chopstick, eying the amounts until it looked like the color I wanted.  I then brushed it on with an old paint brush (the paint brush won't survive after this job) and wiped it off with an old rag before it dried.


It's hard to see but the result is a subtle antiqued look.  To make it look more aged, you can distress it more and leave the stain/glaze solution on longer.  I wanted a lightly distressed/aged look.  I then sealed the top with two coats of the glaze.

It matches perfectly, it is super functional and best of all, Kleist approves!








2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the bench! We are wanting to sell our dining set (or I should say I...my husband would rather not, I'm sure! ;) ) and build a farm table with benches on each side. I'll have to check these out. Thanks for sharing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and having hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year. At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patient we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patient Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal treatment.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com . We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Doctor Itua Herbal Treatment..He assured me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid.

    ReplyDelete